General speaking, oversleeping or hypersomnia is sleeping for longer than you intended to and so wake up late. It can have many possible causes (such as seasonal affective disorder) and can cause distress and problems with functioning. How to tell if you are oversleeping? If you have some of following symptoms, maybe you have excessive time spent on sleeping:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), or prolonged nighttime sleep.
- Sleep drunkenness. It is a difficulty transitioning from sleep to wake.
- Take long naps during the day that are mostly unrefreshing.
- Waking up in the morning with confusion, disorientation, slowness.
We know that the normal sleep time of the human body is six to eight hours a day (for adults). Too much sleeping time will cause the following harm:
- First, it affects our stomach. Because the food in the stomach takes a certain amount of time to digest, but after a night of absorption, there is no food in the stomach, but the gastric juice is still secreted continuously. If you don’t get up for breakfast in time, the secreted gastric juice will affect the gastric mucosa.
- Second, it will affect the function of the heart. The heart is also at rest when the human body is resting. If you sleep too much, it will affect the contractility of the heart and cause heart weakness. After a little exercise, you may experience heartbeat and palpitation symptoms.
- Third, sleeping for too long will also lead to weakened heart activity, and at the same time, insufficient blood supply to the brain will result in a feeling of dizziness.
- Fourth, it is easy to get tired, and the more sleep you sleep for a long time, the more you want to sleep, which will lead to a decline in metabolism, fatigue and memory loss.
- Fifth, it may lead to the occurrence of obesity.
So how to overcome oversleeping problem? Here are our tips:
Go to see a doctor.
If you have any physical problems resulted in oversleeping, of course you need to see your doctor to get professional treatment.
Go to bed on time to adjust your body clock
The best sleeping time for humans should be 10:00 pm-6:00 am, 9:00 pm-5:00 am for the elderly, and 8:00 pm-6:00 am for children. Adolescents should get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep, so it’s recommended to go to bed on time to adjust your body clock so that you can wake up to time in the morning.
Get ready for sleep to adjust your night’s sleep
Avoid eating, drinking stimulant drinks which contains alcohol or cocaine, over-excited, over-entertaining and talking before going to bed to ensure a stable and comfortable mood.
Pay attention to your sleeping position
Studies have shown that "sleep like a bow" can properly reduce the gravity on human body. Since the heart of the human body is mostly on the left side of the body, lying on the right side can reduce the pressure on the heart. At the same time, try not to put your hands near the heart to avoid waking up due to nightmares. In addition, do not sleep with your head covered or with your mouth open. Covering your face with a quilt while sleeping will make it difficult to breathe and lead to hypoxia. Opening your mouth to inhale cold air and dust will damage your lungs.
Create a sleep-friendly environment
When sleeping, the light should be moderate, and the surrounding colors should be as soft as possible; ventilated but not let the wind blow directly; try to prevent noise interference, quietness is very beneficial to improve sleep quality; keep the room temperature slightly cooler, and the bedroom temperature is slightly lower to help sleep.
Take a bath before bed
If you don't sleep well, you can soak in the bathtub half an hour before going to bed, take a full hot bath, and at the same time, you can turn on your mobile phone or radio, and play some soft and pleasant songs to make your mood more comfortable and help you sleep well.
Don’t do strenuous exercise before going to bed
Do not do strenuous exercise before going to bed, this will make the nerves more excited, making it more difficult to fall asleep, and falling asleep at the same time may also make you have nightmares. On the contrary, it is a good choice to do some gentle sleep exercises in bed for 5 minutes before going to bed. The effect is also very good, both fitness and help you sleep.
Choose an ideal pillow to adjust your night’s sleep
When sleeping, the pillow is close to the head, so choosing an ideal pillow, a comfortable pillow is very suitable for human body structure and scientific. For example, the memory foam pillows are good, not only have good air permeability, but also prevent stiff neck.
To overcome oversleeping problems, it is recommended that you need to do more aerobic exercise and exercise more during the day, which can improve the overall quality of your body. The purpose is to form good sleeping habits, if the symptoms are severe and you cannot relieve it by yourself, it is necessary to go to the hospital for an examination.